Located in north-central Arkansas in Cleburne County, Heber Springs was established in 1882 and is the county seat. Cleburne County is Arkansas's youngest county. Originally named Sugar Loaf Springs, Heber Springs owes its existence to the Sugar Loaf Springs Land Company. The Sugar Loaf Springs Land Company was founded by Max Frauenthal, a native of Bavaria. He sold shares in the company to ten local men with the intention of creating a town. When the town applied for a post office, the U.S. Postal Service rejected the name. They changed the name to Heber Springs in honor of Dr. Heber Jones, whose father had been an early owner of land there.
Printed map of Heber Springs in Cleburne County, Arkansas.The map shows streets, neighborhoods and additions. In the bottom right corner are notes about the area from county records. It lists the April 1908 population as 1,500.
Map of Heber or Sugar Loaf and Additions, Map2265, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas
Rights and Usage
Use and reproduction of images held by the Arkansas State Archives without prior written permission is prohibited. For information on reproducing images held by the Arkansas State Archives, please call 501-682-6901 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.