Early in 1912 the Pine Bluff Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), decided to present a "stand of colors" to the new U.S.S. Arkansas battleship, which would include a United States flag, a naval battalion flag, and an Arkansas flag. Secretary of State Earle W. Hodges informed the DAR group that Arkansas had no state flag, which led the Pine Bluff Chapter to immediately launch a movement to obtain one. Through the newspapers, they asked that designs be submitted to Secretary of State Hodges, who agreed to appoint a committee to select an official flag. Sixty-five separate designs were considered by Hodges' committee. The design chosen was the work of Willie Kavanaugh Hocker of Wabbaseka, a member of the Pine Bluff Chapter, DAR. The Arkansas General Assembly passed a resolution on February 26, 1913, affirming the choice of the committee. The Arkansas State Archives holds 43 of the submitted designs.
This flag is the entry that ultimately won the competition, submitted by Willie K. Hocker of Wabbaseka, Arkansas. The diamond shape at the center of the flag is to represent Arkansas as the only diamond-producing state. The twenty-five stars around the border of the diamond represent that Arkansas is the twenty-fifth state of the Union, and the three stars in the center represent the three countries, Spain, France, and the United States, that have held Arkansas.
Arkansas State Archives
Willie K. Hocker's Winning Flag Design, G4543.70, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas.