Early in 1912 the Pine Bluff Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), decided to present a "stand of colors" to the new U.S.S. Arkansas battleship, which would include a United States flag, a naval battalion flag, and an Arkansas flag. Secretary of State Earle W. Hodges informed the DAR group that Arkansas had no state flag, which led the Pine Bluff Chapter to immediately launch a movement to obtain one. Through the newspapers, they asked that designs be submitted to Secretary of State Hodges, who agreed to appoint a committee to select an official flag. Sixty-five separate designs were considered by Hodges' committee. The design chosen was the work of Willie Kavanaugh Hocker of Wabbaseka, a member of the Pine Bluff Chapter, DAR. The Arkansas General Assembly passed a resolution on February 26, 1913, affirming the choice of the committee. The Arkansas State Archives holds 43 of the submitted designs.
The flag has a dark blue background with a gold circle in the center. Inside the circle is an image of a black eagle with a blue, white and black shield superimposed over him. Above the circle in black lettering are the words, "Regnant Populus" and underneath in black lettering is "Arkansas."
One color drawing
Drawings; Competition drawings; State flags;
Arkansas State Archives
Shield Eagle Flag, Flag21, Arkansas State Archives, Little Rock, Arkansas